Reports on second-quarter 2018 results and establishes business priorities:
- Drive revenue
- Optimize operations for simplicity to better serve clients and partners
- Re-energize the innovation engine
- Focus on cash flow and increase capital returns
NORWALK, Conn., July 26, 2018 – Xerox (NYSE: XRX) Vice Chairman and CEO John Visentin today outlined his business imperatives to transform the company with an emphasis on commercializing innovation, optimizing operations to better serve customers and partners, and a heightened commitment to shareholder returns. Visentin summarized his direction as part of the company’s second-quarter results.
“It’s clear after two months as CEO of this iconic brand that we can return Xerox to the forefront as a leading tech company,” said Visentin. “We currently have software, services and printing technologies, along with a pipeline of innovations, which can disrupt the marketplace and bring increased value to those we serve.”
“Our second-quarter results demonstrate the benefit of having a business model underpinned by annuity cash flow. However, it also highlights the challenge of improving revenue and flowing cost savings to the bottom line,” he noted. “Our success will depend on operating with a relentless focus on optimization. Actions include improving the effectiveness and efficiency of our supply chain and go-to-market channels. Equally important is ensuring we provide a great experience for our customers and address their evolving business needs.”
Demonstrating its commitment to enhancing shareholder returns, the Xerox board of directors authorized a $1 billion share repurchase program and the company will opportunistically repurchase up to $500 million in 2018. “This positive step forward is a strong endorsement of the company and represents an immediate action to deliver value to our investors,” said Visentin.
The company confirmed that it is not conducting an auction process. Visentin stated, “While there has been much speculation about Xerox, I want to be clear. My mission is to do what is right for Xerox. Our focus is on leveraging the assets and capabilities we have today to create a sustainable company that provides a compelling value proposition for customers and partners.”
Second Quarter 2018 Financial Results
- Earnings Per Share: GAAP earnings per share (EPS) from continuing operations of 42 cents, down 21 cents compared to the same period in 2017, primarily due to transaction costs of $58 million or 17 Adjusted EPS of 80 cents, a decrease of 6 cents year over year.
- Total Revenue: $2,510 million, down 2.2 percent year-over-year or 4.0 percent in constant currency
- Equipment Sale Revenue: $561 million, up 0.9 percent or down 0.6 percent in constant currency
- Post Sale Revenue: $1,949 million, down 3.1 percent or 5.0 percent in constant currency
- Adjusted Operating Margin: Adjusted operating margin of 11.9 percent, down 1.3 points year-over- year
- Cash Balance: $1,263 million at the end of the second quarter
- Cash Flow: Operating cash flow of $235 million in the second quarter and $451 million for the first half
- Dividend: Returned $68 million to shareholders
Full Year Expectations and Outlook for Cash Flow Xerox will focus on driving strong cash generation and continues to expect full-year operating cash flow of $900 to $1,100 million and free cash flow of $750 to $950 million. The company plans to return at least 50 percent of its free cash flow to shareholders through common dividends and share repurchases on an annual basis. Xerox will use excess cash on the balance sheet to opportunistically repurchase up to $500 million of shares in 2018.
The company’s management team plans to update investors on its strategy and longer-term financial expectations at an analyst day later this year or early 2019.
About Xerox Xerox Corporation is a technology leader that innovates the way the world communicates, connects and works. We understand what’s at the heart of sharing information – and all of the forms it can take. We embrace the integration of paper and digital, the increasing requirement for mobility, and the need for seamless integration between work and personal worlds. Every day, our innovative print technologies and intelligent work solutions help people communicate and work better. Discover more at www.xerox.com and follow us on Twitter at @Xerox.