1000+ Survey Confirms Robot’s Role in Digital Transformation
Brno, Czech Republic and Dallas, Texas – August 8, 2018 – Y Soft® Corporation, a leading enterprise office solutions provider, announced results of a workplace survey that assessed employee’s attitudes of working alongside robots. As organizations implement Digital Transformation initiatives for productivity gains, including robots, concern about jobs and workplace change is natural. The survey results indicate that robots would be welcomed in the workplace by most if they added value and were used for repetitive and menial tasks.
The fear of robots replacing jobs is unfounded
The findings show that a robotic workplace of the future is not perceived as all doom and gloom by employees: 83.7% of respondents don’t think their jobs will be replaced by robots. However, among the small percentage who are worried, those under 30 are more afraid than their older counterparts. Concerns include lack of human emotions in decision making and not having a friend to chat with at the water cooler.
The top three areas U.S. workers see robots as useful are manufacturing and product testing, administrative tasks like paper processing and receptionist, and/or an internal help desk. Fewer than 5% thought jobs involving creativity, deep thinking and the human touch like finance, marketing and sales would ever be replaced.
A Positive Outlook
Many robot workplace positives were cited: 455 workers said that they look forward to getting trained in how to work with robots, so they can learn something new. A small percentage of respondents were already working with robots. Additionally, slightly more than half of respondents indicated they would be comfortable working alongside robots as it would allow them to focus on the core aspects of their job.
The overwhelmingly positive response affirms Y Soft’s view that robots can help relieve humans of repetitive, tedious, or physically-strenuous tasks. As an example, YSoft Labs, an internal innovation center within Y Soft, develops robots for testing the UI experience on its hardware, embedded software, and mobile phone applications. Video.
“Internet of Things devices are entering the business world and IoT Edge is accelerating
adoption of IoT in offices and industrial workplaces. Vigorous function and user experience testing is critical and the need for new, more efficient testing approaches is emerging. Using robots for this work can speed a company’s time to market and allow workers to focus on their IoT solution’s core value by enabling multi-disciplinary tests and accurate and repeatable
validation”, said Ondrej Krajicek, Chief Technology Strategist, Y Soft.
Additional statistics are provided below. The full report can be downloaded here.
Key survey findings:
- 83.7% or 852 people don’t think their jobs will be replaced by robots.
- There is some worry. 463 people or 45.5% of respondents are worried that machineswill make decisions that lack the human element/touch.
- Age is a factor. Nearly 23% of workers under 30 are worried of being replaced by robots,compared to nearly 9% aged 45-60, and even fewer — 4% of workers over 60. Most ofthe worriers thought it would happen within a decade.
- About half, 51%, said they’d feel comfortable working alongside a robot because itwould allow them to focus on more interesting parts of their job.
- The top three areas where people see robots as useful are in manufacturing andproduct testing (34% or 342 people), administrative tasks like paper processing (12% or127 people) and receptionist and/or internal help desk (8% or 85 workers.)
- 44%, the largest group of respondents, look forward to training to work with robots sothey can simply learn something new.
- Is an all robot workplace possible? 59% cannot imagine an entire work environment thatinvolves robots. However, 24% said they can imagine an entire work environment thatinvolves robots in the next 10 years.
About Y Soft
Y Soft provides intelligent enterprise office solutions that help build smart business. Our YSoft SafeQ workflow solutions platform is used by corporations and SMB organizations to manage, optimize and secure their print and digital processes and workflows. Our 3D print solutions are focused in the Education sector where they provide unique workflow and cost recovery benefits.
Founded in 2000, the company is headquartered in Brno, Czech Republic, with offices in North and Latin America, Europe, Middle East/Africa (EMEA) and the Asia Pacific region (APAC). For more information, please visit www.ysoft.com.